Se-tenant Blocks of Four - 24,000
12p Bantay Bell Tower
12p Pinsall Falls
12p Bessang Pass Natural Monument
Miniature Sheets of 16 (Four
Se-tenant B/4) - 6,000
150p Souvenir Sheets of Two - 8,500
75p Calle Crisologo
75p Sta. Maria Church
150p Miniature Sheets of 8
Personalized Stamps - Four Stamps
with 4 Blank Labels Sold only Upon Personalization
Designer: Rodine Teodoro
First Day Covers: Manila & Vigan, Ilocos Sur
Province of Ilocos Sur - Bicentennial Anniversary
Ilocos Sur is a province located in the Ilocos Region in Luzon. The
Ilocos Region was already a thriving, fairly advanced cluster of
towns and settlements when the Spanish explorer, Juan de Salcedo,
and members of his expedition arrived in Vigan on June 13, 1572.
Augustinians came to conquer the region through evangelization. They
established parishes and built churches that still stand today.
Three centuries later, Vigan became the seat of the Archdiocese of
A royal decree dated February 2, 1818 separated the northern section
of Ilocos which became the province of Ilocos Norte. The southern
portion, called Ilocos Sur, included the northern part of La Union
and all of Abra. It was the union of portions of Ilocos Sur from the
Amburayan were taken from the Mountain Province and incorporated
with Ilocos Sur.
The history of Ilocos Sur was characterized by revolts in protest
against tributes and forced labor. The best-known of these revolts
was the Ilocos Revolt (1762-1763) led by Diego Silang. It was a
revolt of the masses against the Babaknangs and the alcalde-mayor of
Vigan. After Silang’s assassination, his wife Gabriela continued the
fight until she was hanged publictly in 1763. On March 25, 1898,
Isabelo Abaya started a revolt in Candon and raised a red flag in
the town plaza. The historic IkkistiCandon was the start of several
revolutions in the Ilocos Region.
Ilocos Sur figured prominently during the Philippine Revolution in
1896 and Philippine-American War in 1899. The Battle of Tirad Pass
elevated the heroic death of General Gregorio del Pilar who covered
the retreat of General Emilio Aguinaldo to the Cordilleras and to
Palanan. During World War II, the Battle of Bessang Pass in Candon,
fought between the forces of General Yamashita and U.S. 21st
Infantry, was the climax in the fight for liberation.
Today, Ilocos Sur stands out as a living museumof a spirited and
glorious past. On February 2, 2018, Ilocos Sur commemorates the
start of its bicentennial year as a proudprovince. The Philippine
Postal Corporation will issue a special set of block of four stamps
and a souvenir sheet with two circular stamps. Six designs for the
stamps summarized the beauty and grandeur of IlocosSur:
A major tourist attraction of Vigan City in its mestizo district,
which is filled with Spanish-style houses that evoke a bygone era. A
walk or a calesa ride through CalleCrisologo is a cultural tourof a
microcosmic enchanting Spanish period.
Sta. Maria Church.
The Sta. Maria Assunta Church is one of four baroque churches in the
Philippines and inscribed in the UNESCO Heritage List in 1993. It
was built in 1810 on a narrow hill by a defensive wall overlooking
the town’s poblacion. Its bell tower was built on the left side
separated from the Church with its convent standing parallelto the
façade of the Church.
It is located in Barangay Baballasioan in Sta. Maria. Due to its
unique landscape above the waterfalls, it is immortalized through a
local myth where it is believed to be the footprint of Angalo. The
85-foot-high waterfalls is the largest in Ilocos Sur. With its
explicably romantic setting, Pinsal Falls is a popular locationfor
filming Filipino movies and a favorite spot for swimming and
Bessang Pass Natural
It is a protected area and memorial that commemorates the victory on
June 14, 1945 by Filipino soldiers serving the U.S. Armed Forces in
the Philippines Northern Luzon over the imperial Japanese Army in
the Battle of Bessang Pass which led to Japan’s eventual surrender
and end to World War II in the Philippines.
Bantay Bell Tower.
One of Vigan’smost iconic symbols is the Bantay Bell Tower. First
built in 1591, it served as the town’s watchtower before being
turned into a bell tower by the nearby church in 1857.
Pagburnayan comes from the root word burnay. It refers to the
handcrafted earthenware pots made from Vigan. These are made from
bantog clays, which are dug from the western barangays of the city.
Burnays are excellent to ferment brown sugar, basi (sugarcane wine),
sugarcane vinegar, and isdang bagoong (fish sauce).